As a member of top tier Romanian law firms, Alina has been at the forefront of some of the largest projects and transactions unfolded in Romania as well as of some of the most significant commercial and investment arbitrations involving Romanian counsels. She is highly experienced in commercial & contract law and corporate matters as well as in mergers & acquisitions, having advised a broad range of high profile private clients and multinational corporations in connection with the structuring and implementation of high value investment projects in various sectors, as well as with respect to the successful closing and enforcement of intricate commercial and M&A transactions, including competition and data privacy related aspects. In addition, she has a vast expertise in international commercial and investment arbitration proceedings as well as enforcement and setting aside of arbitral awards, being acknowledged for her ability to identify the core legal issues to be addressed and approaches to be tackled in view of building strategies for success. Alina’s expertise equally extends to amicable settlement of disputes as well as the configuration of the client’s pre-litigation conduct meant at achieving a favourable out-of-court settlement and to increase chances for success in court, having obtained in this respect notable and cost saving results.
- Romanian, English and French
- LL.M in European Union Law, Montesquieu Bordeaux IV University (2004);
- LL.B, Bucharest University Law School (2003).
- Bucharest Bar Association (Admitted 2004);
- International Bar Association.
- Overview and requirements for changing board members, Romanian Chapter of ChangeBoardMember.com, June 2017;
- Commercial arbitration 2017, Romanian know-how chapter – contributor, Global Arbitration Review 2017;
- "Dealing with abusive enforcement of LGs under Romanian jurisdiction", article published in the European Newsletter review edited by Sweet & Maxwell;
- "Is arbitration still an option for public contracts related disputes?", article published in the Arbitration News review edited by the International Bar Association;
- "The new provisions of French law on international arbitration", article published in the Romanian Arbitration Review;
- Chapters of the Doing Business guide, edited by the World Bank;
- Various sections of the Doing Business in Europe guide, edited by Sweet & Maxwell;
- Over 50 legal digests published in the European Current Law review edited by Sweet & Maxwell;
- "Highlights regarding the EC proposal for a Common European Sales Law", article published in the International Sales Newsletter, edited by the International Bar Association, June 2013 issue;
- "Romanian Arbitration Law - one step forward, two steps back", article published in the Arbitration News review, edited by the International Bar Association;
- Romania chapter of Global Legal Insights on International Arbitration, First edition, published by Global Legal Group;
- Romania chapter of Global Legal Insights on Mergers & Acquisitions, Fourth edition, published by Global Legal Group;
- "CCIR Court of Arbitration of Romania - Arbitrators Appointment Reformed", article published in The Commercial, Shipping & Investment Arbitration Watch, issue no. 22, edited by AACNI (Abogados Asociados para el Comercio, la Navegación y la Industria SLP);
- Various issues of Emergency Legal Kit for Business and Legal Prompts, specialized business law publications and legal update bulletins, edited by Maravela|Asociații;
- Romanian Employment Navigator – co-author, Lexology 2017.
Highlights of Alina’s credentials include advice and representation to:
- One of the leading manufacturers of mobile communication devices, in connection with the successful development of a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility and of the industrial park wherein said facility was located, the structuring of the contractual framework for the envisaged suppliers hub, the underlying competition matters and the successful sale of the manufacturing facility upon exit;
- A strategic German investor, in connection with the successful acquisition of three Romanian freight wagon manufacturing businesses, in a highly complex transaction deemed as the M&A deal of the year in 2012, as well as in connection with the drafting and negotiation of the key customer agreements;
- An important European investment fund, in connection with the successful acquisition of a controlling stake in a leading Romanian hotels chain. Legal work has included thorough due diligence enquiries as well as the drafting, negotiation and closing of the transaction documents;
- A major European airline, in connection with the attempted acquisition of the leading Romanian low cost airline. Legal work has included thorough due diligence enquiries as well as the drafting and negotiation of the transaction documents;
- A major European medical services company, in connection with envisaged acquisition of a business as a going concern and competition matters;
- A reputed European real estate developer, in connection with the drafting and negotiation of the entire contractual framework related to the development and marketing of two major shopping centres (malls), as well as in connection with the sale of the same;
- An international corporation, in connection with competition aspects pertaining to envisaged acquisition of a stake in a major natural resources project;
- A global expert in asset auctions, liquidation and asset valuation appraisal services, in connection with the successful amicable settlement of a multimillion dollar dispute against a leading automotive manufacturer;
- An important European industrial group, in successfully defending the client against multimillion dollar claims in an UNCITRAL arbitration regarding performance of investment obligations under a privatization agreement;
- A leading Romanian group, in connection with multimillion euro claims in an investment arbitration filed with the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes;
- Several international corporations, in connection with the assessment of potential investment arbitration claims against the Romanian State;
- One of the leading electricity suppliers and distributors, in connection with multimillion euro claims related to investment obligations under a privatization agreement;
- A US based fund, in connection with a high value ICC arbitration against an anchor tenant and the successful amicable settlement of the same;
- A major real estate developer, in connection with the jurisdiction phase of a high value ICC arbitration regarding a forward funding acquisition;
- A leading exploration equipment supplier, in connection with the successfully closed and implemented settlement and security agreements entered into with a major Romanian company;
- A leading pharmaceuticals and medical devices company, in connection with an intra-group transfer of business and various other corporate and commercial matters.